I just wanted to explain a little bit about the cancer that is invading my body. When I was diagnosed over 6 years ago, I was put on a chemotherapy drug, the one I am currently on. When I was put on this drug, I was told, that long term use of this type of chemotherapy, could possibly have a negative effect on my organs. For six years I did not have any symptoms to suggest that my organs were having a problem, until now. I had put what I was originally told about this drug, in the way back of my mind, since up until now, things have been "ok". This current type of chemotherapy has run it's course and is no longer effective in treating my cancer. Sometimes I wish I could just have the "regular" chemotherapy by I.V. drip and some radiation. But, because the cancer is in my blood, and blood runs through out the body, I can not have radiation, and I.V. therapy would not work. The next option for me will be a chemotherapy drug that I was on, for a month, called Interferon. Everyone's body produces Interferon, but the amount I will be taking is more than what the body makes. The entire month that I was on Interferon, I was SO sick. It's like when you get the really bad flu, and you have chills, and body aches, nausea etc. In order to go on Interferon this time, my hematologist feels it would be in my best interest to be hospitalized for a month, while they wean me off of my current chemo, and start me on Interferon. She said it will be easier to deal with the side effects of the Interferon, if I am able to get the anti nausea drugs and morphine while in the hospital. My hematologist works out of St. Pauls hospital in Vancouver, so I would be in St. Pauls for a month. Obviously this is not the most ideal situation, as Pete, and my family and friends would have to drive an hour to see me, and being away from my husband for a month is REALLY going to bite the big one. But, having said that, I am REALLY confident with my hematologist, and she hasn't steered me wrong as of yet. I feel really safe in her care, and being in the hospital will only be a month, while I adjust to the new chemo. I have BIG plans for this summer, so we agreed to start the Interferon in Sept./Oct. I'm going to beat this cancer, and I'll do whatever it takes. I'm one of the most stubborn people you'll EVER meet, and when I put my mind to something, I don't back down, EVER! LOL! I'm not dreading the one month hospital stay, I'm going to look at it as a "vacation" of sorts...LOL! Hey, being waited on hand and foot, with the push of a button? Sounds like a holiday to me! LOL! So, this is "the plan" for now. God might have other plans, you know, like to heal me completely, so you know, I'm open to anything :)Friday, May 30, 2008
I just wanted to explain a little bit about the cancer that is invading my body. When I was diagnosed over 6 years ago, I was put on a chemotherapy drug, the one I am currently on. When I was put on this drug, I was told, that long term use of this type of chemotherapy, could possibly have a negative effect on my organs. For six years I did not have any symptoms to suggest that my organs were having a problem, until now. I had put what I was originally told about this drug, in the way back of my mind, since up until now, things have been "ok". This current type of chemotherapy has run it's course and is no longer effective in treating my cancer. Sometimes I wish I could just have the "regular" chemotherapy by I.V. drip and some radiation. But, because the cancer is in my blood, and blood runs through out the body, I can not have radiation, and I.V. therapy would not work. The next option for me will be a chemotherapy drug that I was on, for a month, called Interferon. Everyone's body produces Interferon, but the amount I will be taking is more than what the body makes. The entire month that I was on Interferon, I was SO sick. It's like when you get the really bad flu, and you have chills, and body aches, nausea etc. In order to go on Interferon this time, my hematologist feels it would be in my best interest to be hospitalized for a month, while they wean me off of my current chemo, and start me on Interferon. She said it will be easier to deal with the side effects of the Interferon, if I am able to get the anti nausea drugs and morphine while in the hospital. My hematologist works out of St. Pauls hospital in Vancouver, so I would be in St. Pauls for a month. Obviously this is not the most ideal situation, as Pete, and my family and friends would have to drive an hour to see me, and being away from my husband for a month is REALLY going to bite the big one. But, having said that, I am REALLY confident with my hematologist, and she hasn't steered me wrong as of yet. I feel really safe in her care, and being in the hospital will only be a month, while I adjust to the new chemo. I have BIG plans for this summer, so we agreed to start the Interferon in Sept./Oct. I'm going to beat this cancer, and I'll do whatever it takes. I'm one of the most stubborn people you'll EVER meet, and when I put my mind to something, I don't back down, EVER! LOL! I'm not dreading the one month hospital stay, I'm going to look at it as a "vacation" of sorts...LOL! Hey, being waited on hand and foot, with the push of a button? Sounds like a holiday to me! LOL! So, this is "the plan" for now. God might have other plans, you know, like to heal me completely, so you know, I'm open to anything :)Posted by barb at 10:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I guess that in the grand scheme of life 1 month isn't too bad. But in a way it's SO long! It's really too bad that it has to be at St. Paul's. It wouldn't be nearly as difficult if you could stay at MSA. Could that not be an option?
I'm wondering the same thing. Our new hospital and cancer center will be open. There will be specialists who can follow Dr. Leger's instructions.
Hey mom and Sonya, Dr. Leger does not have hospital privileges at M.S.A. She only has privileges at St. Paul's, and in order for me to have all this done at M.S.A. I would have to switch hemotologists, and I REALLY like her, and feel confident in her care :) It's only a month, and it will be over before we know it. I don't really care if no one come to visit me. I'm sure I'll make some friends there..you know me, stubborn but friendly ;) Besides, SO much can happen between now and September ;)
Too bad you can't stay in our new fancy-shmancy new hospital! I hear that it's really nice inside!
Well, if you can't have it done here, I guess I will just have wear my housecoat all the way to Vancouver for coffee. Do you know where we can put the bbq for the marshmellos? I am sure we can figure it out.
Post a Comment