Today I had the privilege of attending the memorial service, of one of my former group home clients, QB. As I sat there and listened about his life and the people he impacted during his 59 years here on earth, it made me start thinking about my own life, and the people I may or may not have affected during my time here on earth. They had an open mike at the service, and out of 50+ people, only 3 people got up to say something about QB. That was kind of sad to me. I started thinking about who, if anyone, would get up at my memorial service, and what they might say, and that thought really frightened me. I know I've made a few friends, MANY acquaintances, and LOTS of enemies, so that in itself is a scary mix for an open mike. My cousin once told me of a funeral service he went to for one of his clients (he works in finance). He said that the guy who passed away, left a note to be read at his funeral, and it went something like this; "Some of you here are friends and are here to pay your respects, some of you are just here for the free buffet after the service, and some of you here, are people who hated me in life, and are just here to make sure I'm actually dead." He goes on to make some "confessions" such as "Bob, you remember that time 50.00 went missing from your wallet?, Ya, that was me, I took it." He also made some funny confessions. It really irks me when people always have something nice to say when you are dead, even if they hated you when you were alive. You know what I'm talking about. I think we've all been to funerals or memorials, where people get up to the mike and say what they think the family wants to hear. Personally, I've made a "guest list" for my funeral, and if you ain't on it, you ain't getting in...LOL! It's my last ditch attempt at control, from the grave...LOL! But seriously, I encourage you to think about what people will remember you by, once you are gone. What would you want them to get up and say about you?
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
no open mike for me ;) and where do you get your templates for your blog ??
Hey Denise, I think this one was from Pyzam...try to google "blog templates" and a bunch should come up ;)
Very thought provoking. You and I went to our friend Betty's husbnad (HL) funeral and they didn't have an open mike. he was very loved but I think if people have anything to say to me they should tell me while I'm alive.
Oh, girlfriend I would definetly have lots to share and would not hesitate. I make sure to get people to at least smile at your memory:) Just like you always make me smile!
Post a Comment